The Old Way
Let's face it, updates to cruising guides, including ours, have always been pretty messy. The traditional solution (if you can call it that) has been to send out a document of changes and additions each year. That sucked for a bunch of reasons:
- Manually integrating pages of updates and additions is so laborious that I'm pretty sure almost no one does it—we are cruisers too and I know we never have.
- When out there cruising, who remembers to check the updates regularly? Again, probably very few.
- Putting separate update documents together uses a lot of our time that could be better spent on updating the master book files for new editions.
With the old way, you're not happy and neither are we.
A Better Way
Given that, starting with the 8th Edition, we are no longer going to send out separate update documents.
Rather, we will put all that time and energy into bringing out complete new up-to-date editions just as fast as we can.
Better for you and better for us.
Questions and Answers
Now we know this is new and pretty radical and that you will have questions...so, we have answers:
How Often Will New Editions Come Out?
Our current plan is to bring out one new volume each winter, although we may do the two smaller volumes (1&5) in the same year. The result will be a four-year update cycle for the whole Guide.
How Do I Know When To Wait for a New Edition BEFORE Buying?
Simple, we are going to do something that no other publisher ever does...warn you of new editions in the fall (autumn). That's why it's really important to register (scroll down).
OK, When is the Next New Edition?
Currently, we are planning a new edition of Volume 4 (West and North Coasts of Norway, from Bodø to the Russian border, including Lofoten) for the winter of 2018-19.
Do You Guarantee That Date?
In a word, no. We, the editors and publishers (Phyllis and John), are just two people, so such a guarantee would be silly, since anything could happen, like a health or family issue, but, that said, our track record of delivering on promises over the 15 years we have been doing this is pretty darn good. We will also email you if there's a change, as long as you are registered (scroll down)
Will There Be FREE or reduced books for previous buyers?
No, here's why:
- The Guide is a book, not a piece of software or an app.
- The market for our Guide is extremely limited (just a few hundred a year) but the costs are just as much as for any 1000-page publication...a lot. So selling new editions for full price is the only way for the Guide to remain viable.
I bought just last Year (2017), what about me?
Our policy (published on this website for the last four years up until this change) was that we would provide a free eBook for all buyers of the Guide (both paper and eBook) from this site after August 31st—those who did not get a sailing season to use their Guide.
We will, of course, honour that, just as soon as we get the eBooks up and running.
How about Making The Guide an App With Updates, like Software?
Wouldn't that be cool! In fact, we did investigate the idea, but the cost of building and maintaining apps needs to be spread over thousands of users—just not practical for our Guide that only sells a few hundred copies a year.
I have another Question you haven't answered.
Send us an eMail, we are all ears.
- we won't share your email,
- or send you spam,
- and you can unsubscribe at any time.